Saturday, June 23, 2007

Estupido.

I'm not so sure I'm keen on working with someone who could make Gordon Ramsay cry. I mean, that's scary. But Brit chef Marco Pierre White's done it before, and apparently Ramsay isn't the only one Chef White has been alienating--the volatile chef's Spanish-born wife, Mati, has filed for divorce (though something tells me it's more that they're too similar rather than too different). In agreement with Top Chef host and Craft-sman Tom Colicchio, I say that people who yell tyrannically at their employees don't deserve to be in a position of management. Or for that matter, in a workplace at all. If you're so inclined, read the extensive report on White's third failed marriage.


Although I am all too glad we lack that sort of un-professionalism in island kitchens, another thing we lack is gastronomically exciting events, like the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen, Colorado. In Hawaii we hear about the same chefs over and over, and really, despite the unrivaled talent some of them may possess, their names can become stale over time. I want to see Thomas Keller and Mario Batali and Jean-Georges Vongerichten! The 5,000 attendants at this year's Classic got to...someday I hope to be one of those numbers.

No comments: